Carers Rights Day 2023 – What are your carer rights?
Each year Carers UK promotes Carers Rights Day where they are joined by hundreds of organisations and thousands of individuals raising awareness of caring, helping to identify carers and signposting them to information, advice and support.
Whether someone has recently become a carer, realised they have been caring for a while without support or has been caring for someone for many years, it’s important they understand their rights and are able to access the support that is available to them whenever they need it.
Carers Rights Day empowers carers with information and support. It helps them to feel confident asking for what they need and challenge things when their rights are not being met, whether that be that in the workplace or education, in accessing health or social care, when interacting with other professionals or at home.
Your rights, right now
- You have the right to request flexible working.
- You can ask your GP practice to identify you as a carer on your patient record.
- Exercise your right to request a free flu jab.
- If you look after an older or disabled person, the law – under the Equality Act 2010 – protects you against direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities.
- Many carers find it easier to continue in their caring role if they can get some assistance. If it appears that they have needs for support, they can have a carer’s assessment.
- If you are a carer and the person you care for is being discharged from hospital, the hospital must identify and consult with you, where possible.
As well as these rights which are all covered under legislation in the Care Act, you also have the right to look after and manage your own wellbeing.
Come see us
On Carers Rights Day, Thursday 23rd of November, Wigan and Leigh Carers Centre will be joining the conversation to reach out to carers across Wigan and Leigh to let them know that we see them, we hear them and that we are here to support them in any way we can.
Come and join any of these events…
Thursday 23rd November 2023 9 am—4 pm
Venue: The Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan Lane, Wigan WN1 2NN
We are joining Wigan Borough Carers, NHS WWL and Adult Social Care hosting a stall for Carers Rights Day.
Pop along to find out about support.
Thursday 23rd November 2023 9.30 am—12 noon
Venue: Alexander House Surgery, Rivington Avenue, Platt Bridge Health Centre, WN2 5NG
We are joining Alexander House Surgery, hosting a stall for Carers Rights Day. Pop along to find out about support. Refreshments available.
Thursday 23rd November 2023 2.30 pm—4.30 pm
Venue: Café Iris, Howe Bridge Sport Centre, Eckersley Fold Ln, Atherton, Manchester M46 0PJ
Join our regular Carers Café Club where you can find out what support is available. Enjoy a lovely cuppa with us at Café Iris.