Greater Manchester Council Survey Report released
Two Young Carers from Wigan and Leigh Young Carers have been involved with a cross Greater Manchester effort to understand the concerns of Young Carers.
This survey was designed by and for young carers. 18 young carers from across GM wrote the questions and 245 young carers from across GM responded.
The main issues raised by this survey are:
- Improve our mental health
- Reduce our isolation
- Raise awareness of our issues with our peers
- Raise awareness of the conditions we care for
- Give us the skills to care
- Give us a young carers service
- Reduce our worries about being put into care
- Support us to get involved in groups outside of school
- Make sure school support is consistent so we can focus on doing well
- Enable us to live without money worries
Highlights from the report include:
- 9 out of 10 young carers worry or panic when they are not with the person they care for.
- Two thirds of young carers feel alone some or a lot of the time
- 1 in 5 young carers have problems with friends because of caring
- 1 in 5 young carers don’t feel they have the skills to look after the person they care for.
- 44% of young carers worry about being put into care.
- 48% of young carers can’t afford necessities.
- 60% of young carers can’t afford anything other than necessities.