Information, signposting and advice – Empowering carers
Caring for someone you love is a selfless act that is undoubtedly appreciated by the person you’re caring for. Despite this, being a carer can be difficult as it impacts upon several areas of your life. Carers tell us that talking to someone who understands the caring role and having relevant up-to-date information is crucial. Sometimes the range of information available to you may be bewildering, or sometimes there may not be enough information available. Wigan and Leigh Carers Centre can help you access what is right for you.
With a wealth of experience in the health and social care sector, we provide a wide range of information, signposting and advice both within WLCC and from other carefully selected bodies. We can also offer information about your rights as a carer and guide you through the Carer’s Assessment process.
Our aim is to empower carers to make informed choices and provide specialist advice for the right support for you and your caring needs. We can help you ensure your voice is heard to get the services that will support you in your caring role. Even if we do not know an answer to your question(s) we will know someone who does. We aim to provide a service accessible to all, so please get in touch if you have any additional needs.
Registering as a carer with your GP
Here at WLCC we can help you to register your details with your doctor’s practice so that your notes are tagged to indicate you are a carer or that the patient is a cared-for person. It will help your GP if they are aware of your caring role and the potential impact of your caring responsibilities on your own health. The doctor’s receptionist can then also take account of your needs as a carer when trying to arrange appointment times that fit in with your caring role.
Carer’s rights/Welfare rights
Often caring responsibilities mean that your finances are hit. You may have given up work to be an unpaid carer or reduced your hours and are now worried about money. The benefits system is complicated, with each benefit having its own set of rules. There are many different benefits for carers and their cared for, and working out what benefits you might be entitled to can feel like a battle. Having the right information and support can make a huge difference.
Every person is unique and so we provide free confidential support to carers and their families through telephone and appointment service, offering guidance on various issues, including but not limited to:
- Signposting / support for welfare benefits / low-income families / Housing & Landlord and tenant/ Employment. We work closely with Wigan Citizens Advice Bureau and other organisations.
- Completion of claim/benefit forms – for example DLA (Disability Living Allowance), PIP (Personal Independence Payment), Attendance Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance forms etc.
If you would like to speak to someone here at WLCC about what benefits you may be entitled to you can call 01942 697885 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, there are several other organisations who can give you advice on benefits:
- The GOV.UK website has more information about benefits and how to claim them.
- Citizen’s Advice has information about benefits, tax credits, council tax and housing costs.
- The Money Advice Service has further information and advice about the benefits system.
- Turn2Us is a charity supporting people to get back on track and access what they are entitled to. Their free benefits calculator and grants search tools will help you find financial support you may be able to access.
- Carers Trust.
- Carers UK.
- Wigan Council Here for You
Equipment needs or replacements
If you have essential home equipment which has become damaged or stopped working, we may be able to assist you in accessing funds/grants to replace it. This could be for something like a washing machine or a bed. Young carers may need a computer or a tablet to assist with homework or tackling social isolation. Whatever this may be, we will look into what grants are available at the time of your request.